Hopefully everyone survived the snow! I loved it, the blanket of white was so beautiful! We would love to see photo’s from your snow day!
Believe it or not, there is just over 6 weeks before our new Spring quarter students arrive!
- Please check your email for the “Spring availability“. You should have received it this week, if not please contact Housing right away. Everyone needs to reply by February 15th! Even if your house is full and there are no updates, please let us know.
- Also – some of you have been contacted regarding updating your background check. Background certifications are good for five years. All host family’s must have a current background check prior to receiving new students for Spring quarter. If you need assistance, please contact Housing. If you haven’t been notified by Housing, your background certification is up-to-date for now.
Free admission, family fun event for Saturday, February 11th from 11a – 6p
It’s time to let us know if you’re available to host this quarter. Please copy & paste the following questions with your answers in a reply email to me at EFindley@greenriver.edu by February 15th! Spring Quarter placements will begin on February 21st, so it is crucial for Housing to know each host families update.
EVEN IF YOU HAVE A FULL HOUSE, WE NEED AN UPDATE, PLEASE!!
How many available long term openings do you have?
- When will you have these rooms available?
- Male or Female or Both?
- Would you like to be considered for Short Term Programs this Spring?
- Any home changes; kids, pets, family … any changes of who’s living in the home?
- Students (include their Student ID number) currently living with you.
- Phone number or email changes?
Please remember to contact the Housing Office right away if your underage student (16 or 17 years old) expresses an interest in moving.
If you have been asked to complete or update a certified background check for GRC Housing, please do so ASAP. We will not be able to place students with host families that do not have an updated (in the last 5 years) or completed background check on file.
Thank you, again for being such a wonderful host family! We greatly appreciate all that you do!
Come chat with us! We will provide a free lunch!
Housing would love to see all our student next week at one of our “Life in the USA” presentations. There will be four different opportunities for students to attend. Please encourage your students to come.
There will be a Lunar New Year Party TONIGHT!
Lunar New Year is an annual celebration where deities and ancestors are honored for the bountiful success of the previous year, along with prayers for the same abundance in the coming year.
- Time: 7:30p – 11:30p
- Place: Student Union Building
- Cost: $10.00 at the door
- Thursday, February 2, 2017 is Advising Day for all Academic classes. This means – no day or evening classes for your students if they are taking Academic classes. However, if your student is in is IESL, they will still need to attend their classes.
- Saturday, February 4, 2017: there will be a Hike from 9:00a – 4:00p. Cost will be $5.00 for students and $10.00 non-student. Contact Paul at email@example.com
- Saturday, February 18, 2017: Snow Tubing from 10:00a – 4:00p.Cost will be $5.00 for students and $10.00 non-student. Contact Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday, February 24, 2017: “RENT”the musical will be at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle. 5:00p – midnight. Cost will be $35.00 student and $55.00 non-student. Contact Annabelle at email@example.com
Important reminders to go over with your students who are out after dark:
- Cars can not see you at night
- Dress appropriately. Light colored, reflective clothing, reflectors on backpacks, use a flashlight
- Always walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing oncoming traffic
- Take your ear buds out
- Walk in a group whenever possible
Take advantage of the Safety Ride. This is a free shuttle for all students living close to GRC Auburn campus. Ride information listed below:
Thank you for a successful arrival day. We know it is a very long day and we want to thank you for all you do to make it go smoothly.
Thank you to host families and greeters who were at the airport on time and with a smile on your face. Thank you to the additional families who were ready to help out if needed. We received arrival information for about 25% of our students over the last week. This was a huge challenge. Your flexibility and commitment to our program is appreciated as they were ALL picked up and taken to their appropriate housing placement. Thank you to those of you who received arrival information Monday and were ready to go on Tuesday. And thank you to the host family who picked up a student who arrived unannounced. You know who you are.
The personal touch offered as airport greeter service is a huge selling point for our marketers. They tell agents and parents that we will take care of their students every step of their educational process. Without you this cannot happen.
Students are in orientation this week. The housing team is breathing a sigh of relief. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
Thank you again. Happy Winter quarter.
The Housing Family would like to wish all our Host Families a wonderful Holiday. May your home be filled with memories abound.